Sunday, June 22, 2014

Allis Chalmers Model A- FOUND!!!!

The long search....

Well some of you may have read my previous post on Allis Chalmers tractors in our family, in particular about a Model A Allis Chalmers that my grandfather(Gordon) and his brother(Neil) bought new in 1935 after trading their team of 10 Clydesdale horses to obtain the first rubber tyred tractor in the Sea Lake area. The tractor stayed in the family and was restored by Neil until 1990 when Neil passed. The tractor was then sold to a collector in Romsey Victoria, name unknown. After more than 20 years asking around at Vintage Tractor events and even through car related people in the Romsey area a chance meeting at the Lockington Vintage Tractor Rally in April helped us narrow down the search. Another enthusiast from Romsey knew of a collector but was hazey on a name, a few weeks later he called after remembering the collectors name, but no other details. A bit more asking around and we finally had a contact number. A few attempts were made before finally tracking the person down and amazingly it was the person who bought the tractor from Neil's estate and even better he still owns the tractor. After a great discussion a meeting time had been set and on winters morning we collected my grandmother for a surprise reunion!
It was a foggy morning that greeted us on Sunday and after collecting my grandmother along the way, the mystery tour was in full swing. The fog seemed to get thicker as we progressed so the drive in the Victorian countryside idea was quickly becoming a real "fizzer". We decided to stop for a lovely lunch in Lancefield at a rustic café, The Apsy. With warm food we ventured back into the fog and headed towards the property where the Allis was know located. The owner guided us around to the shed where my grandmother was told we were visiting a private collection of old tractors which made her eyes light up. I told her there was a very special tractor there and she commenced guessing what it may have been but a Model A never crossed her mind. So upon entry to the shed an old McCormick Deering caught her eye, and she asked if this was the real special one we had come to see, of course I said no, it's this one over here.....
My grandmother then told the owner how we had one exactly the same, and I said to her, this IS their old tractor! Silence then tears followed as the enormity finally hit her (and the rest of us that were with her!). The photo above is of me, my mother(Gordon's daughter) and my grandmother with the A Model so dear to my grandfather.

Given we had no record of the serial number and only very limited information on who may have purchased this tractor I am still amazed that it has been relocated, largely due to the help of others listening to my queries and helping join the dots particularly over the past two months.

No comments:

Post a Comment